Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Finally working with NIHEP

Having a Monday discussion
at NIHEP office
On September 2012 I got great news: I will have an unique chance to do my practical training in Mwanza, Tanzania! I started to do some investigation to find a nice training place. Thanks for the networking, I met Ms. Ruusa Gawaza, project manager of Tampere-Mwanza co-operation project. She told me about the Finnish organisation, Mwembe. That led me to contact Ms. Lena Johansson, chairman of the organisation. She told I am welcome to work with Mwembe and their partner in Mwanza, Ni Hekima Pekee (NIHEP).

It has been a long way, but here I am, finally working with NIHEP. I really enjoy doing my practical training here. Before I tell more about my practical training, let me introduce myself. My name is Saara Pakaslahti and I come from Finland. I study social services in Tampere University of Applied Sciences (TAMK). I came to Tanzania via North-South-South programme.

This is my fourth week working with NIHEP and I still have six more weeks to go. I mostly concentrate on developing organisation's office practices and improving their informing. For example I have done some updates and changes to this blog. One of my aims is also help to develop NIHEP's documentation and reporting. Now organisation has even their own computer at the office, so it will be easy to write reports and other important documents.

I am enthusiastic, because I feel myself useful. I really feel that I can be helpful and do something which is remarkable for developing NIHEP, young organisation. In my opinion, NIHEP has lots of potential and such a good will to help most vulnerable children and families in Mwanza, especially in Butimba area.

I am glad and grateful that I have got this chance to work with NIHEP and all the people involved in organisation. Even now I think I will miss these people and this place. And of course I will miss Madeleine, my lovely housemate. Unfortunately she is going back home to Finland this week. We have had such a good moments while living together in Mseke Ibungiro volunteer's house. She has also helped me a lot by sharing her thoughts and views with many issues. Now I really believe that sharing is caring and together we can do more.

Onesmo Kajuna and Ruusa Gawaza
What it comes to sharing, couple of weeks ago there was also great discussion between executive director of NIHEP, Mr. Onesmo Kajuna and project manager of Tampere-Mwanza co-operation project, Ms. Ruusa Gawaza. Ms. Gawaza visit Mwanza and had also time to share some thoughts with Mr. Kajuna. Thanks for coming, Ruusa. We were very happy and honoured to get you as our guest.