Wednesday, June 19, 2013

My weeks in Mwanza

Primary school in Iseni.
Time has been flying so fast. I have already been here over three weeks and I will go back to Finland on Friday. My name is Madeleine Sandström and I am studying to become a teacher. My subject is special education and I have one year left of my studies.

My journey to Tanzania started the 18th of April. First I went to Iringa. There I did a teaching practice for five weeks. The 25th of May I arrived to Mwanza and I have been volunteering for Ni Hekima Pekee. I have been in the primary school Iseni and also visiting families. Me and Saara (she introduced her self earlier) have also been trying to think how we can develop the current system within Ni Hekima Pekee. So we have also been doing some office work.

The school Iseni is a government school and the also have an unit within special education. I spent my time at the school in that class. I learned a lot from the teacher Kristina, mostly about deafness. Teaching deaf pupils was something new for me and very interesting. We both shared ideas concerning education and we talked about challenges in both Finland and Tanzania.

The pupils got vacation the 7th of June so then I started with new tasks. The two last week I have been visiting families in the area Tambuka Reli and Kambarage. Ni Hekima Pekee is supporting families in the areas and the goal is that the families would get money to start some small business so that they can support them self. Some families have already got the support but some families are still waiting. For the moment we need more sponsors to be able to help all the families.

Preparing cards to teach sign language.
Ni Hekima Pekee is also arranging support meetings within the families. They meet once a week and discuss different problems that can accure within a family and they try to solve them together and support each other. Some of the families have a child with some kind of disability. In Tanzania there is a big shame for the whole family if a family member has a disability. Many children stay at home and they never get the opportunity to go to school. Ni Hekima Pekee tries to change these attitudes and I have been visiting some of the families and trying to support them concerning their child's disability. I have also been teaching sign language to one family.

I can't believe my time here is already almost over. I have really enjoyed my time here!

Greetings, Madeleine